Physiotherapy Works for Healthy Aging
Our physiotherapy practice at Healthx includes a wide range of patients, from youth to older adults. Healthx has developed a loyal clientele of seniors who have tapped into physiotherapy to live life to the fullest. Our clients tend to be otherwise healthy but experience the aches and pains that are common among aging people, such as low back pain, joint stiffness and swelling, and head and neck pain.
Physiotherapy enables individuals to maximize their quality of life and optimize their health and well-being. At Healthx, we treat a wide range of conditions associated with aging such as:
- Sprains and strains of muscles, ligaments, and joints.
- Poor posture and alignment in sitting, standing and walking.
- Muscle tightness and contractures.
- Musculoskeletal and orthopedic conditions.
- Muscle weakness and deconditioning e.g. post-hospitalization, surgery, fall or illness. Muscle loss is reversible, at any age. Sarcopenia, the loss of skeletal muscle mass that comes with advanced age, does result in a lower basal metabolic rate, reduced activity levels, decreased bone density, and weakness. But studies show that sarcopenia can be reversed with weight training and a solid fitness plan, especially one that is guided by a physiotherapist or kinesiologist that is experienced in working with seniors.
- Falls risk and Balance issues. Physiotherapy can be applied to directly minimize the potential for such an unfortunate event that can sideline your plans for local activity and travel alike. A physiotherapist can work with you to improve your Gait (manner of walking), vestibular function, and core fitness and balance.
- Pre-and post-surgical conditions.
- In Canada, women 65 years of age have an average life expectancy of an additional 22 years, while the projection for men is an additional 19 years.
- In British Columbia, seniors account for approximately 16% of our population.
- Of course, the senior population of today is quite a bit different from that of generations ago. You’re more active, taking full advantage of retirement in a locale that affords you with a wide variety of recreational opportunities. However, advanced age can take its toll on your muscles, joints, ligaments, tissues and everything in between.
Physiotherapy for Older People
Physical activity plays an important role in healthy aging and wellbeing. Our physiotherapists help seniors with their mobility needs whether it is to reduce pain, improve movement, or address conditions affecting balance and vertigo.
Physiotherapy is more than a reactive form of treatment. You may not have considered a visit to a physical therapist when you’re feeling strong and healthy, and instead wait until there’s an injury, ailment, acute or chronic pain. By incorporating physiotherapy into your monthly health and wellness regime, you will learn proper body movements that will assist both in your fitness and day to day activities and help keep you free injury. It can effectively reduce your reliance upon prescription drugs (for pain) and can even solve conditions that you did not know were connected to physical therapy (i.e. headaches). Everyone (especially seniors) should make physiotherapy a part of their regular health activity.
Schedule an Appointment
Request More Information
Langley’s leading physiotherapy clinic for advanced physical therapy services and treatments.
PARTNERS IN YOUR CARE