Meet Our Staff
KAREN COOKE, PHYSIOTHERAPIST
B.SC.(PT), B.H.KIN, AFCI, CGIMS
Areas of Special Interest:
- Manual Therapy: Karen has completed a series of post graduate courses and examinations in Manual Therapy and applies this technique in her treatment service providing clients with enhanced pain relief and accelerated healing.
- IMS (Intramuscular Stimulation): Karen has a remarkable success rate of treating chronic pain through IMS technique, stemming from her ability to accurately assess the physical signs of neuropathic pain. Karen has many years of experience in applying IMS treatment resulting in one of the most affective options for pain relief today for her clients.
- Sports related injuries: Karen is a huge advocate of exercise and physical activity as it relates to health and wellness. As an active sports enthusiast, Karen has firsthand knowledge of the various injury recovery protocols extending into dynamic injury prevention.
- Work related injuries: Karen’s excellent relationship with WorkSafeBC stems from years of experience helping injured workers get back to their jobs and advocating on their behalf.
- Family physiotherapy: Often more than one family member has an area of injury that needs treatment. Karen can treat parents and kids in consecutive appointments, keeping busy families healthy and efficient with their time.
Karen Cooke graduated from the University of British Columbia in 1998 with a Bachelor of Human Kinetics and Exercise Science and from Curtin University of Technology, Perth Australia in 2001 with a Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy. She has completed postgraduate courses in vertebral manipulation, sports physiotherapy, Pilates and the Mulligans Concept. Ms. Cooke previously worked in private practice in Perth, Australia managing a variety of orthopedic conditions and leading group rehabilitation classes. She has extensive knowledge in manual therapy and uses her background in kinesiology to provide the highest level of effective treatment and patient care. Karen is a registered GunnIMS therapist and certified in Acupuncture. Ms. Cooke is a member of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association, and the Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia, Orthopedic Division.
Kimberley Huff, PHYSIOTHERAPIST
Areas of Special Interest:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: ICBC claims need careful monitoring and documentation. Kimberley is excellent at advocating on your behalf to get you the treatment you need.
- Manual therapy: Kimberley uses a “hands on” manual therapy approach during her treatments which proves to be effective in the mobilization of both soft tissues and joints.
- Workplace injuries and prevention: Kimberley specializes in work related injuries and rehabilitation. She has an amazing understanding for the complexities of work related injuries and the need for thorough communication between the patient, WorkSafeBC and employers to get you back to work.
- Migraines and Headaches: Kimberley has post graduate training in treating headache symptoms related stress, tension and general dysfunction in the neck.
- Pre and post natal care: As a mother herself, Kimberly has first-hand experience with the physical stresses on one’s body.
- Senior care: Kimberley has many patients over 65 and understands the unique care issues related to aging.
Cory Graham, PHYSIOTHERAPIST
MSCPT, BSCKIN, IMS
Areas of Special Interest:
- Occupational Rehabilitation: Cory works extensively with our WorkSafeBC and other insurance providers contracted rehabilitation program. He oversees an exercise based injury recovery program for wage earners who have been hurt while on the job. Using the state of the art gym facility at our Langley office location, this daily program is usually 3-6 weeks in duration.
- WorkSafeBC injury related claims: For more recent workplace injuries, Cory is able to apply his expertise to this acute treatment phase during private physiotherapy appointments.
- Athletic Advantage: Cory’s passion and expertise with athletic rehabilitation will translate into faster injury recovery, improve injury prevention, and maximize your functional output.
- High Intensity Performance: An experienced player and coach for vigorous athletic sports such as hockey, lacrosse, running, and golf, Cory knows the biomechanics of these sports first hand and will help in the recovery of the many various injuries that these players sustain.
- IMS (Intramuscular Stimulation)/Dry Needling: Cory has extensive training in the assessment and treatment of acute and chronic injury/pain conditions using IMS techniques.
Cory Graham graduated from Queen’s University with a Master of Science, Physical Therapy, where he co-founded the Queen’s University Inter-professional Patient Mobility Workshop. He has experience as a registered Kinesiologist, with his degree gained from Simon Fraser University. At Healthx Physical Therapy, he designs, develops, and monitors active rehabilitation programs for contracted insurance providers as well as manages a private practice caseload including ICBC, WorkSafeBC and private patients. He also works at a local hospital with general and high intensity rehabilitation and in medical/post op wards. Cory has varied experience including working with the Province of BC Autism Funding Unit providing one on one therapy for children with autism. Cory is a member in good standing with the BC College of Physiotherapists, the Canadian Physiotherapy Association, and the Physiotherapy Assoc iation of BC. He has completed level one of his manual therapy qualifications with the Canadian Orthopedic Division Diploma of Advanced Orthopedic Manual and Manipulative Physiotherapy.
MATTHEW WRIGHT-SMITH, CLINICAL DIRECTOR AND PHYSIOTHERAPIST
B.App.S. (PT), MCPA, CGIMS
Areas of Special Interest:
- Vertigo and Dizziness: Matthew uses his certification in Vestibular Rehabilitation for treatment of dizziness and balance related issues.
- IMS (Intramuscular Stimulation): Matthew enhanced his qualifications for the treatment of chronic pain conditions with extensive training in IMS (Intramuscular Stimulation) techniques.
- Aging: Matthew has many senior fans due to his practical and compassionate approach to the body’s changing needs related to aging.
- Manual Therapy: Matthew has many years of experience as a fully qualified manual therapy practitioner and incorporates this effective technique as a fundamental part of his treatments.
- Motor Vehicle Accident Recovery: Matthew’s years of experience working with patients enables him to quickly assess how to best help people recovering from a motor vehicle accident from the acute phase through to prescribed exercise programs in the final phase of recovery.
Matthew Wright-Smith graduated from La Trobe University, Lincoln School of Health Sciences, Melbourne Australia in 1992 with a Bachelor of Applied Science in Physiotherapy. He has extensive training in mobilization and manipulation of the spine to correct specific conditions and restore normal biomechanics for treatment of neck and back injuries. Mr. Wright-Smith completed his certification as a GunnIMS therapist in 2008 using IMS (Intramuscular Stimulation) for treatment of persistent pain. He is also a fellow of the K-tape International Academy and uses K-tape extensively for all types of injuries. Mr. Wright-Smith has extensive clinical experience in the treatment of sports injuries, MVA soft tissue injuries, work injuries, arthritis and chronic pain conditions. Mr. Wright-Smith is the owner of Healthx Physical Therapy and is a member of the Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia and the Canadian Physiotherapy Association, Orthopedic Division.
BRYAN CERVANTES, Physiotherapist
MPT, BSc (Kin), CAFCI, CGMIS
Areas of Special Interest:
- Manual Therapy: Bryan was trained at the world’s leading school in the use of manual therapy and achieves tangible results for his clients.
- Sports Injuries: As an avid sportsman, Bryan has experience firsthand in the various body mechanics issues experienced by athletes and can apply this experience to his treatment techniques.
- Advanced Treatment Techniques: Bryan provides many treatment options for his clients including IMS (Intramuscular Stimulation), acupuncture, and K-Taping through his various professional certifications.
- IMS (Intramuscular Stimulation): Bryan has many years of experience as a fully qualified IMS practitioner and incorporates this advanced treatment technique to achieve great results in pain management.
- Motor Vehicle Accident Recovery: Bryan works with patients through all stages of their accident recovery, helping people injured in motor vehicle accidents transition from acute to the final phase of recovery through supervision of customized exercise rehabilitation programs.
Bryan Cervantes graduated with a Master of Physical Therapy degree from the University of British Columbia in 2006. Since graduation, he has undergone extensive post-graduate training in manual therapy that includes a Certificate of Orthopaedic Manual Therapy offered on the campus of Curtin University of Technology in Perth, Australia. In addition, Bryan has obtained certification to perform intramuscular stimulation (Gunn IMS) through the Institute for the Study and Treatment of Pain and medical acupuncture through the Acupuncture Foundation of Canada Institute. Bryan is also certified as a K-taping therapist. Additionally, he completed a Bachelor’s of Science in Kinesiology that led him to work in field and office ergonomics. Bryan has worked in a variety of orthopaedic and sports injury clinics and occupational rehabilitation programs where he has helped clients of all ages with varying orthopaedic and neuromuscular conditions. Bryan’s interests include traveling which has led him to work as a physiotherapist in Kuwait and Australia. Besides being bitten by the traveler’s bug, Bryan loves scuba diving, is a fan of sports and enjoys an active lifestyle.
Jason Chung, Kinesiologist
Areas of Special Interest:
- Active Rehabilitation: Jason customizes strength and conditioning programs tailored to your physical recovery and optimization needs. He then supervises your workouts through a progression of one on one visits in the gym. Active rehabilitation proves very effective for the physical strengthening of private patients and ICBC or Workplace injuries.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: ICBC claims need careful monitoring and documentation. Jason is excellent at advocating on your behalf and coordinating with your physiotherapist to ensure your prescribed exercise program meets your recovery goals.
- Workplace injuries and prevention: Jason specializes in rehabilitation for work related injuries. He assists you with your recovery through researched stretching techniques, exercise progression, and the psychology of recovery from injury at work.
- Independent Job Site Analysis: Jason is an experienced evaluator of work environments and the physical mechanics needed to fulfill job tasks.
- Return to Work Support Services: Jason is the point person in our return to work planning program. He performs a detailed evaluation of work environments and the physical mechanics needed to fulfill job tasks through job site visits. Then he creates a comprehensive Graduated Return to Work Plan customized for each worker. Part of his service is careful monitoring as the worker progresses through the graduated plan until a final discharge report is provided.
Jason received his Bachelor of Kinesiology from the University of Calgary, graduating June 2015. During his time at the University of Calgary he has gained a wide basis of knowledge in rehabilitation services, construction of resistance training and rehabilitative strength programs, along with the practical and theoretical applications of exercise. Jason has a passionate interest in prevention of athletic injury, assessment of injury to athletes, acute-injury management, rehabilitation of athletic injuries, and a safe return to sport aspect of kinesiology. He also possesses an interest in fundamental knowledge of human movement and function to analyze the impact that exercise, lifestyle and diet have on the human body. Jason works with patients in both individual (Active Rehab Program) and group (OR 1 Program) yielding the most elite level of evidence based treatment. He has experience volunteering at the University of Calgary Rehabilitation program, and has received much positiv e feedback from his patients by producing positive strength gains and functionality. His current interests include: Basketball, Snowboarding, Baseball, and Weight-lifting.
SARAH O’BYRNE, PHYSIOTHERAPIST (Whistler Location)
Sarah graduated from the University of Melbourne in 1999 with a Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours H1). She has since worked in a variety of clinical settings in Australia, Fiji, England and Canada, giving her experience with a vast spectrum of people, conditions and health care systems.
She has spent time in private practice, acute hospitals and paediatrics, however Sarah’s passion has always been for rehabilitation. Sarah spent several years working in spinal cord injury rehabilitation in Australia and the UK, before switching to occupational rehabilitation in 2008. Sarah has enjoyed the challenge of assisting clients to achieve their goals by providing a combination of accurate assessment, specific programs, education and encouragement.
Sarah is a keen participant in a variety of outdoor pursuits and has completed several ultra distance mountain biking and triathlon events. She is also a certified coach in field hockey, downhill skiing and mountain biking.
NICOLE HEISTERMAN, PHYSIOTHERAPIST (Whistler Location)
Nicole has been with Whistler Physiotherapy since 1999. Since then, she has worked with every type of person, from the professional skiers, snowboarders and bikers to weekend warriors to people who just want to walk the valley trail.
As an avid skier and mountain biker herself, Nicole understands how challenging it can be to be injured and how important it is to get her clients back to what is important to them as quickly as possible. Trained in manual therapy, Nicole takes an analytical approach to her work, looking at alignment and biomechanics to find solutions to her clients’ issues so they not only recover from their injuries, but are able to come away from them armed with better strength and alignment to prevent future injury. She incorporates sport-specific exercise into her rehab programs to ensure the proper muscles are ready for the next step, whether it is return to skiing or snowboarding, or return to walking or climbing stairs. This type of specific retraining is also key to building her clients’ confidence in their ability to return to activity.
Besides her physiotherapy treatment skills, Nicole also has a wealth of experience in brace fitting, custom orthotic prescription, and making custom thermoplastic splints.
ALI KLEIN, OFFICE AND RECEPTION
Ali has completed her Medical Office Assistant certificate and joined the Healthx team in 2015. She is happy to help with any questions regarding client services and scheduling.
TANJA NEELY, OFFICE AND RECEPTION
Tanja is responsible for the office management of Langley and Whistler and coordinates our client services. She works in the Langley office and can be reached at 604 332 4476 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
MARCI WRIGHT-SMITH, ADMINISTRATION
Marci works in the Langley office on billing and various projects. She looks forward to seeing you in the clinic sometime soon.