What is Telehealth? A Guide
HealthX Physiotherapy is happy to now be offering Telehealth services. Telehealth allows you to meet with your physiotherapist or kinesiologist via video chat to make your treatment accessible from home. But what exactly is Telehealth physical therapy? This blog aims to give you a brief overview of who can benefit from Telehealth and what you’ll need to prepare for your appointment. You can learn more about HealthX’s online physiotherapy services here.
Why did you start offering Telehealth?
HealthX started providing Telehealth services to ensure the safety and health of our clients while they continue their physiotherapy treatments during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, for some people, Telehealth services fit in with their lifestyle, making it the preferable option.
Using your computer, tablet, or smartphone, you will connect with your practitioner over video chat and they’ll provide you with exercises and treatments that you can do, yourself, at home. Even if you’re just starting out with physiotherapy, this can be effective– our staff can do anything from initial consultations to follow-ups for long-term clients over video chat.
Who can benefit from Telehealth?
As mentioned above, there are many who may prefer to book Telehealth appointments. If you have restricted work hours, or have young children at home, Telehealth can conveniently fit in an appointment right when you need it. Some of you may have limited mobility or don’t have access to safe transportation – Telehealth allows you to get the treatment you deserve from the comfort of your own home. It also gives you the option of receiving your regular treatment while ill or quarantining after extended travel.
Telehealth is a great option for those in rural communities, with no clinic close by. However, HealthX can only assist those who are currently living in British Columbia. If you’re living in another province, please contact another clinic in your province that provides Telehealth services.
What conditions can be addressed in online physiotherapy?
When you need physiotherapy, you want to make sure that you’re accessing treatment that addresses your specific needs. There are a number of common conditions that can be improved with Telehealth services from your own home.
These conditions include:
- Muscle strains.
- Joint sprains.
- Back, neck, and shoulder pain.
- Pelvic floor dysfunctions.
- Post-surgical pain and restrictions.
- Plantar fasciitis.
- Poor ergonomics.
- Postural dysfunction.
- Balance and coordination issues.
If you’re wondering whether your specific condition would benefit from Telehealth, or if an in-person treatment would be the better option for you, please call us at (604) 332-4486.
How can I prepare for my Telehealth appointment?
You don’t need any fancy setups or special equipment to begin physiotherapy treatment at home. Here are a few things that we recommend setting up before your Telehealth appointment for the best possible consultation:
- Set up your device so that you can see and speak to your practitioner hands-free. This is why we recommend using a computer or tablet instead of a mobile phone. However, if you do choose to use a mobile phone, just make sure that you have it propped up for hands-free use.
- Make sure that your internet connection is strong so you can communicate throughout the appointment. If accessible, headphones with a microphone can be a great option to make sure that you and the practitioner can hear one another. However, these are not essential.
- Ensure that you have enough space to move around.
- Finally, if you have issues with balance, make sure that there is someone available to help you should you lose your balance.
Langley’s leading physiotherapy clinic for advanced physical therapy services and treatments.
PARTNERS IN YOUR CARE